Monday, September 17, 2012

Flesh Toned Fashion

Flesh Toned Fashion
Last week, I came across an article about a middle school honors student that was booted from class for wearing brown leggings. According to a school official, the leggings "too closely resembled her skin tone", making it appear as if the 11 year old was pant-less. And apparently, going to school without bottoms on is inappropriate. I never heard of such a thing. Well, thankfully No Pants Day is in June when school is out, so children all over the nation can celebrate... Or at least appear to.

But seriously, I actually faced a "to appear pant-less or to not appear pant-less" dilemma just a few days ago at the local Crossroads when I came across a cognac colored pair of shorts by Vince for just $18. EIGHTEEN DOLLARS! And I currently don't have any shorts (which is another discussion for another time), so I was really on the verge of slapping a twenty dollar bill down on the counter at the register like I was in a heated game of dominoes. But the thing that stopped me was the color. If I wore those shorts, I would look naked from the waist down, thanks to my highly melanated thighs. The top only look is not one that I am currently striving to achieve, therefore, I had to pass. I was sad.

However, there are instances in which flesh tones are appropriate and lovely. I, for one am a fan of the nude shoe, as it elongates the legs and adds a really modern touch to any look. Flesh tones are also a great option when you're working hard to "match" colors. Instead of struggling to make sure that separates or accessories are the same shade, just throw a flesh tone in the mix. It's pretty much a fool proof way to up the sophistication level of any outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment