Thursday, September 13, 2012

Mommy, Where Do Style Babies Come From?

When I was a little girl, the concept of not knowing how to dress and look great was entirely foreign to me. How could someone not have style? How could someone be clueless and inept when it came to accentuating their best features, hiding their flaws, and greeting the world daily with a fresh look? It's basic, right?

Well, obviously, we all know it's not as basic as it seems. For those of us who love the art of adorning ourselves, even if it comes naturally, it does take a little work. And for our not so stylish counterparts, looking put together, sometimes with little time and money, is an even more daunting task. Now that I look back, I understand that my fashion aptitude was something that I inherited from my mother and she, from my grandmother, and likely goes back for generations. And in the same way that my mind doesn't do a very good job of processing mathematical equations, others may not know how to mix prints, color block, or accessorize. 

When I was a little girl, I had this one friend that would copy everything I wore. Well, maybe not everything... but more things than I was comfortable with. I think that's why our friendship fizzled. And it's not that I feel as though I'm the only person that can have anything. As my Mom always says, "They made more than one." But it was just weird, constantly meeting up in the same gear.

Years later, as a teenager, my ultimate dream was to work in this one store in the local mall. I went on to work at that store and a few more in my early adulthood. Oh, to be surrounded by apparel all day! Later in life, I held a key position with a Los Angeles based online retailer. After years with that company, I had a short stint with another. I'm always the most excited about fashion industry related work. One way or another I've always found myself in and around apparel, retail, and marketing, and have been perpetually drawn to it.

I am mainly a writer. Fashion has been my day job. I've utilized my writing ability in my 9 to 5 work and absolutely have penned my fair share of fashion blogs and articles. But it's always been to forward someone else's agenda, convey someone else's point of view, and water the seed of someone else's dream. Well, not anymore.

This is mine.

Well, actually, ours. This is, after all Reke and Nikki. I'm Nikki, by the way. Oh, and this is your blog, too. Let's all do this together. It'll be fun.

I blog over here. But here, we will talk about fashion. How to acquire it, preserve it, and evolve [with] it. We will talk about our deep, abiding love for it. We will DIY, we will thrift, we will style. To some, it may seem shallow, but as for you and I... We we don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment